2. WHY DID I CHOOSE MY MAJOR?


Hi!! Welcome to my second blog post <3

Today I will tell you a little more about my career, specifically how I came to choose it.


Well, as I mentioned in the previous post, I am currently studying anthropology at the University of Chile, which is a career that I would never regret having chosen, since I am having a great experience so far. I say this because now I have the opportunity to study subjects that really fascinate and interest me. I also have the opportunity to have classes with excellent professors, who help motivate me to be like them someday. I have also met new people who are similar to me, which has helped me a lot to integrate and feel comfortable in a whole new world. With these people I can go from talking about games and movies to talking about history and politics very easily, being able to do and talk about things that before, in my school for example, I couldn't.

I think it's going to be really interesting to tell how I came to study Anthropology, since I wasn't always interested in this one.

When I was little I had no specific interests that made me think I really wanted to study a certain career, in fact, I just said I wanted to study any career that would make me a millionaire (this made me laugh when my mother told me about it). I went from wanting to be an engineer, to a lawyer and finally to wanting to be a doctor, an idea that stayed with me until I grew up. When I was in my last year of school, I started to doubt it, because whenever I was asked why I wanted to study medicine or what caught my attention about it, I was unable to answer anything more than "I just want to help people," even when I couldn't stand injuries or blood. This changed the moment I started paying more attention to history classes, when I noticed how my professor passionately explained the topics and how he made us participate in the classes so that we would understand better, which made me slowly fall in love with history, being able to find the path I wanted to follow. I was fascinated by what history could explain, what it could teach us, how, in one way or another, we always turned to it, for me, from that moment on, it became the center of everything. So I started looking for careers that had history, obviously, my first choice was a degree in history, the second a pedagogy in history, all that until I found the career of anthropology, which immediately caught my attention and became my number 1 choice.

In order to better understand this career, I began to look for information everywhere, I searched on websites, ig accounts and youtube, being in this last one where I found the person who ended up convincing me. Mikel, a Spanish archaeologist, helped me to understand through his videos (which are really a work of art) that everything can be studied from an anthropological and archaeological point of view, adding in them, also, a queer or feminist vision. And it was for all this that I finally decided to study anthropology with a specialization in archaeology, because it will help me to better understand our society and the people who compose it, studying their materialities and understanding their contexts to contribute to the community, helping them to know a little more about their history and themselves. 


I hope all this has helped you to discover a little bit more about me...

I'll be uploading another blog soon, so I'll be waiting for you over there!!!!!

Byee <3

Photos

My Uni
My Uni


   Chilean Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and Museum of Memory and Human Rights

Photo of some of the things anthropology can study.


PS. The youtuber I'm referring to is called PutoMikel, I really recommend him because he talks about great topics through humor and acting, adding to that, he talks about his topics with a firm queer vision, so he constantly questions certain things that are sometimes normalized. 


Comments

  1. I will also choose the archaeology major. My future "colega" hahahaah, Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE "PutoMikel"! Your videos really helped me understand race more and it was very valuable for me to have a non-heteronormative view.
    It was a lot of fun reading you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts